01 May 2007

What's Your Definition?


Nostalgia (noun) [no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-]: the plate of fried noodles with sweet sauce and sesame seeds at the coffeeshop at the corner of the row of shophouses. Also the fried carrot cake that was always slightly charred but fragrant all the same. And the putu mayam that's so simple yet delicious with the sprinkling of shredded coconut and red sugar. Not forgetting the tutu kueh - fresh and warm, prepared on the spot. The roti prata, hot and crisp, served with sugar and curry at the little shop nestled in the corner of the kampung. What about you tiao and bey huay ji with a warm soya bean milk?

What's nostalgia? The above might apply to only me (Dictionary.com disagrees with my definition. Hrmph.), but don't you agree that many memories are based on the food that you've savoured oh-so long ago but still able to smell and taste it now with the slightest thought? While most of the items on my childhood breakfast menu have all been "sold out" or made "not available", I'm glad that one of the simplest yet tastiest breakfasts is just a short walk from home.


Oily no doubt, but who can resist deep fried dough (think donuts) for breakfast? One bite and the brown crisp exterior gives way to reveal a soft, fluffy and dough-y center. I'm not going to tell you how much I hate those chewy "stuff" (the vendors claim them to be you tiao and bey huay ji but I beg to differ!) that remind me of eating overcooked squid. At 50 cents per piece, this breakfast is inexpensive (money wise), yet decadent (waistline wise!) at the same time.


So, what's your definition of nostalgia?



Xi De Li You Tiao
Blk 39 Old Airport Road
#01-05
Singapore 390039

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! Freshly deep fried dough...

You're torturing me!

Btw, i've tagged you! You're it!

SteamyKitchen said...

I miss You Tiew. I can't get it here where I live so I will have to learn to make my own. A lot of work though I think? WAIT! I just remembered that I have a mix in a box that my Mom sent to me....off to make them....

Peabody said...

Those look wonderful...I can see why you like them.